Thursday, March 5, 2009

High School Cruelty

When I was a little kid, I really looked forward to being in high school. I used to think high school was like heaven- beautiful, relaxing, and carefree. When I finally got to high school three years ago, I quickly snapped into reality. It wasn't beautiful, it wasn't relaxing, and it definitely wasn't carefree. In fact, high school is probably the most stressful thing that I have ever experienced. If a kid does not wear the right clothes, act the right way, or even talk like the kids around him/her, then he/she is automatically labeled a "loser" or a "lame". Too many times have I seen students constantly joke on a fellow classmate just for wearing the same clothes everyday. Since no one knows that kid's situation, it is not fair that they put him down simply to bring themselves up. What really bothers me about this situation is that I am no different from the kids that constantly joke on and tease others. Even though I am not the one putting others down, I also don't do anything to stop it either. It is so easy for a person to laugh at a joke, even if it is at the expense of others. I am making it my personal goal to stop standing around and watching students get verbally abused.
Another common issue in high school are fights. When a fight is starting, students drop whatever they are doing and run to the seen. They want to get a good "seat" so they will be able to talk about it later with their friends. Kids enjoy watching other students beat each other to death. I am ashamed to say that I am no different. For example, in my Freshman year of high school I was walking out of my classroom to go to my next class. When I turned the corner, I saw a one boy slamming another boys head into the wall. He kept doing it over and over and I just stood there and watched. I felt bad afterwards that I had done nothing to stop it. What made me feel even worse is that during the fight, a girl ran up to the two boys and tried to break it up. A GIRL! When I could have stepped in and broken up the fight, I stood back and let a girl do what I should have done without thinking twice. High school can be a very cruel place. Just because you aren't the one making it this way doesn't mean you are off the hook. You have to ask yourself the question, "Am I doing anything to stop it?" I know for a fact that from now on I won't just stand around when a student is being verbally or physically abused. I, along with everyone else, has the power to make a difference. Who knows, maybe high school won't be a cruel place for much longer. It's possible, right?

1 comment:

  1. jbake,

    I can see you've got the makings of a very good site here.

    Why don't you buy yourself a domain for about $10, then go this site www.freewebdomainhosting.co.uk and get a free hosting account. This is a full account with no advertising on it.

    You've got some good material on here and I think you should try to do this more seriously. If you need any help got to my site at www.directanddigitalmarketing.com and leave a comment.

    Keep in mind I don't offer free help for nothing unless I see the makings of something good.

    Give it a go.

    ReplyDelete